How To Help Your Child Pass the 11 Plus
What is the 11 Plus Exam?
The 11 Plus examination (11 +) is taken in year 6 of Primary School. This is the last year of Primary School and one of the most important years due to the SATS exams which take place at the end of year 6 and the 11 Plus exams which usually takes place at the beginning of year 6. Children will be around 10 years of age when they take the test.
The 11 Plus, is a selection test for entry into a Grammar School. There are 164 Grammar Schools in England. Grammar Schools are considered some of the best state Schools in the country, due to their high calibre students and exceptionally high GCSE and ‘A’ level results.
The 11 Plus is not taught within Schools and is not part of the National Curriculum. Even though this is the case, many Schools prefer students to attempt the exam naturally without any practise. This along with the national debate about expanding Grammar Schools has caused a lot of political debate over the years. Many parents take the 11 Plus preparation into their own hands, whether it’s working with their child at home or hiring an 11 Plus Tutor.
For just a 150 places there are thousands of applications and many Grammar Schools are over subscribed. Pass rates can vary from 3% to 20%. The 11 Plus exams have got tougher over the years due to higher pass rates and stronger preparation shown by students and parents.
There are four subjects tested within the 11 plus. These are Maths, English, Verbal Reasoning and Non – Verbal Reasoning. The test papers vary depending on the County within England. The two most popular types of 11 Plus tests are prepared by GL Assessments and CEM, University of Durham.
Where does the 11 Plus take place?
Essex and South-End-on Sea
Barnet, Bexley, Bromley, Enfield, Kingston upon Thames, Redbridge, Surrey, Sutton
Calderdale, Kirklees, North Yorkshire
North Western England
Cumbria, Lancashire, Liverpool, Trafford, Wirral
South East England
Buckinghamshire, Kent, Medway Towns, Reading, Slough
South West England
Bournemouth, Devon, Gloucestershire, Plymouth, Poole, Torbay, Wiltshire
Birmingham, Stoke on Trent, Walsall, Warwickshire, Wolverhampton, The Wrekin
How can you prepare your child for the 11 Plus exam?
There are various methods to boost your child’s knowledge before the selection test, whether it’s practising from home or providing your child with 11 Plus Tuition.
1. Practise with your child at home. Get your child to read regularly. Depending on their academic nature, 11 + practise could be an hour or two an evening or just over the weekends, when they’re feeling fresh.
2. Every child is at a different stage of learning and if you feel that your child will not be able to cope with 11 Plus practise then do not put any undue pressure as children are very sensitive and fragile. Get some advice from you child’s class teacher and ask him or her if he or she will be able to cope and what the chances are of getting through. This should give you an idea of how much you will need to cover.
3. Purchase 11 Plus practise papers that include Maths, English, Verbal Reasoning and Non – Verbal reasoning questions. They are readily available from bookshops and online. Make sure you buy the correct 11+ papers that cover the examination board of your County or area. If you are unsure of these details, then call us on the number below or send us a message and we will give you the information. 11 Plus vocabulary is essential practise. The vocabulary includes, synonyms, antonyms, Odd words, and shuffled sentences to name a few. Get your child to use a dictionary and write down and learn the meanings of any words he or she doesn’t understand.
4. Hire a qualified 11 Plus Tutor or register your child with a suitable Tuition Centre for 11 Plus tutoring.
5. Use online 11 Plus resources. These could be free sample papers, 11 Plus comprehension or vocabulary words. There are online 11 plus sites where children can practise 11 plus questions and watch You Tube videos as practise.
6. Take your child for an 11 Plus assessment to ascertain what level he or she is working on. These assessments usually take place locally or online. Depending on the assessment, one can work out how much more 11 Plus practise your child needs.
11 Plus Tutoring
Parents can only try their best. Many parents are too busy to organise a complete schedule for their child due to a hectic home life, looking after the other siblings or working fulltime. Sometimes it’s best to get a professional on board to take care of the academic responsibilities. Remember, 11 plus is not taught in Schools, yet the system tells us that only the brightest children who prepare accordingly will pass the 11 Plus. To take advantage of this system parents are sometimes compelled to provide their child with an 11 Plus Tutoring.
What to look for in an 11 Plus Tutor
1. Qualifications are always a good starter. There are many tutors who do not always possess the correct educational qualifications or even a degree. If a tutor is a qualified teacher then they will know how to handle students, what prompts them and the best methods of teaching?
2. Experience is key in the 11 Plus. As the 11 Plus is outside the National Curriculum, it’s important the tutor knows the key 11 Plus questions, format and techniques used to build confidence in the student.
3. Resources used. A good 11 Plus Tutor or Tuition centre always has the best all round resources, such as locally based 11 Plus test papers, computers for quick vocabulary tests. Dictionary and a Thesaurus on hand.
4. CRB and DBS reference checks, will verify the Tutor, does not have a criminal history. Your child’s safety is always paramount.
5. Location. It’s always good to hire an 11 Plus Tutor, who is local or teaches online. Convenience for your child is important. Long journeys can make a student tired and unresponsive to learning.
6. A Tutor or an 11 Plus Tuition Centre that can personalise your child’s 11 Plus learning will capture your child’s attention best. 11 Plus training has to be unique in the sense that it is tailor made for your child’s needs.
Advantages of 11 Plus Tuition
1. It can boost your child’s 11 Plus preparation away from the distractions of School and home.
2. 11 Plus techniques are not taught at School. They are unique educational requirements that will also boost your child’s academic performance in School indirectly.
3. Due to the parent, child relationship, it’s not always easy for parents to tutor their own child. Sometimes outsourcing the responsibility to a professional is more efficient.
4. 11 Plus Tutoring will boost your child’s confidence and analytical skills. A good tutor will also be a good mentor.
5. If your child passes the 11 Plus selection test, then he or she will be guaranteed a place at a Grammar School.
If you would like more information with regards the 11 Plus Tests or would like us to connect you with a locally based, qualified, professional 11 Plus Tutor then contact us on the email address below with your details and one of our dedicated team members will get back to you promptly.
For a speedier response, feel free to send us a message or call us on the WhatsApp number below so we can help you prepare your child to pass the 11 Plus.
Whats App no: 07779995500